Hosted by late night TV’s Jimmy Kimmel, the 89th Academy Awards look like they’re going to be a great mix of good humour and star-studded glamour, and hopefully some song and dance. All the more reason to throw your very own Oscar viewing party! Using some inspiration from a few of this year’s nominated films, here are some sure-fire ways to spruce up your Oscar gathering from the décor, to the food and drinks, to the commercial break entertainment.
The Décor: La La Land
Of all of the nominated movies, La La Land seems like the obvious choice when selecting a décor theme. You can go ultra-Hollywood with your decorations! Your guests will feel like they’ve entered the fictional world of Mia and Sebastian as they sing and dance through the streets of Los Angeles.
- Cut out some silver stars and tape them all over the walls. You can even add some clear twinkle lights to the room, and dim the lights so your guests will feel like they’re in a “City of Stars.”
- Print out some classic movie posters – such as Rebel Without a Cause – and put them on the walls. You can even put up a sign for “Seb’s” jazz club. You can hang photos of old Hollywood stars, and classic jazz musicians.
- Put some sheer, but colourful scarves over the lamps to cast a dim, but colourful light in the room – just like Seb’s apartment.
The Food: Moana
For your food, take inspiration from the animated feature category and put together some delicious snacks inspired by the Hawaiian Islands and Polynesia.
- One easy finger food you can serve is Hawaiian inspired chicken kebabs. Skewer pineapple chunks, green pepper, red onion, and cubed chicken, then grill them and brush on a pineapple glaze.
- You can also make some coconut crusted shrimp with a pineapple dipping sauce for more island flavours!
- Lastly, you can’t have a party without dessert. Stay on the Moana theme with some delicious piña colada cupcakes. Top them with shredded coconut, a cherry, a slide of pineapple, and a cocktail umbrella to complete the presentation!
The Drinks: Hidden Figures
Hidden Figures is the story of the female African American mathematicians who worked for NASA in Virginia during the space-race of the 1960s, so it seems fitting to serve your guests 60s southern-style cocktails
After a long week of crunching numbers for NASA, one might imagine the ladies of Langley relaxing with an authentic southern-style mint julep.
If mint juleps aren’t your thing, serve up some southern spiked peach iced tea, or make a non-alcoholic version without vodka.
For space themed drinks, make layered slushy Blue Galaxy cocktails for your guests so you can toast the amazing accomplishments of these incredible women!
Pre-Oscar Red Carpet Activities
Even if your guests have only seen a handful of the Oscar nominated films, chances are good they’ll have their own opinions on who they think will take home that coveted statuette. Print out your own Oscar ballots to hand out as your friends arrive and see who can make the most accurate predictions as the night goes on. For an interactive spin on the red carpet pre-show, hand out cards with numbers ranked 1 to 10 so your guests can rate the best and worst dressed celebrities of the evening.
Make the Most Out of the Commercial Breaks
Commercials offer ample break time to schmooze, snack and sip, but the Oscars tend to have a frustratingly large amount of them. Make each commercial break count with some extra Academy Award-themed activities like some movie trivia or see which of your friends can give the best Oscar winner thank you speech without going over 30 seconds. You can also set up a photo booth where your friends can take their own glamour shots.
Fancy yourself an ‘A List’ entertainer? Share some of your Oscar-themed party tips below!
Don’t forget to check out Tradyo.com for all your party needs!
Originally by Lauren Stein, updated by Allison Webster